Tuesday, 10 September 2013

ICAAC2013

ICAAC is the largest scientific meeting on antimicrobial therapy and is running this week in Denver CO, USA. One of the highlights of the first day with respect to mycology was the following:

Clinical Microbiology and Diagnosis
An Aspergillus fumigatus (AF)-Specific Breath Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Profile is Diagnostic of Invasive Aspergillosis (IA)
Sophia Koo, MD; Brigham & Women’s Hosp., Boston, MA
Poster Session 023, Presentation M-219
The suggestion is that this research will enable us to diagnose invasive aspergillosis by testing the breath of the patient. This would be a useful tool (if reliable and accurate) as diagnosis of IA is currently slow and difficult, and even more importantly all delay in the diagnosis of invasive aspergillosis has the effect of increasing mortality rates. The sooner we are able to start treatment the better!

More details.


Scientific Program

1 comment:

Chip Chapman said...

This new theory is good news. Only recently my wife informed me that she knew my fungal infection had returned by recognising the faint odour on my breath. This surprised me as it appears she knew before I did, I had identified no physical signs of an Aspergillosis flare up previous to her comment. Sputum examination has since proved her correct.

Amazon Contextual Product Ads

Contact us at admin@aspergillus.org.uk