Thursday, 9 May 2013

Lotto Workers Sickened by Mould

Thousands of scratch cards that had been damaged by Superstorm Sandy have been sitting in a warehouse for six months. The result was ideal growth conditions for Aspergillus, Stachybotrys and Penicillium.

Employees were required to process and account for each pack of damaged tickets. Time spent in the warehouse led to complaints of headaches and respiratory problems. Despite being equipped with gloves, protective suits and masks, the employees were not provided with respirators due to the decision being made over a technical issue that the workers may not be able to safely operate it without special training.

Even though workers expressed their concerns, no action was taken and was left to a worker taking a sample to be tested themselves; through which came a result positive for Aspergillus, Stachybotrys and Penicillium.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention website states symptoms related to excessive mold exposure include asthma, hypersensitivity pneumonitis and allergies.

The hazard of moulds developing from damaging from Sandy seem to be occurring elsewhere, which mould removal companies are carefully dealing with.

1 comment:

Kathryn Treat said...

As a mold survivor, this sickens me.

Amazon Contextual Product Ads

Contact us at admin@aspergillus.org.uk