Tuesday, 22 December 2009

Christmas trees: Don't let them stay past 7th night


A small study carried out in 2007 identified fresh natural Christmas trees as a source of mold in the domestic environment.

Twelve times during a two week period, researchers measured mold counts in a room containing a live Christmas tree, beginning when the tree was brought inside and decorated. The tree was located 10 feet from a heat vent, and the indoor temperature was maintained at between 65 and 68 degrees.
For the first three days, counts remained at 800 spores per cubic meter of air, then began escalating, rising to a maximum of 5,000 spores per cubic meter by day 14, when the tree was taken down.
Airborne mold spores are known to be an irritant to people sensitised to mold spores and this could have a bad effect on the health of people suffering from severe allergy, allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA) and others.

For those people perhaps an artificial tree is the best idea. If artificial Christmas trees are not acceptable then make sure the tree is removed from the room after a week at the most and ensure that the tree has been cut very recently (they are often cut more than a week in advance)!

Merry Christmas to one and all!

No comments:

Amazon Contextual Product Ads

Contact us at admin@aspergillus.org.uk